How to Make the Most of This Golden Age For Writers
Build your portfolio by writing online. Pick a platform for you choice and start publishing your work. Don’t worry about being perfect. Practice in public until you find your voice.
The era of successful and wealthy online writers is here.
2023 marks the beginning of the Golden Age for writers.
There’s no risk in writing online, only multiple benefits. Now is the perfect time to capitalize on the opportunities available and establish yourself as a pro in this field.
I've got you covered if you need help making the most of this exciting time for writers.
This article will explore how you can bend the current landscape to suit you and turn your passion for writing into a successful career. Read on, and don’t forget to let me know your thoughts in the comments.
1. Build a portfolio
The first crucial step toward monetizing your writing skills is building a portfolio. Here’s what you need to know to get started:
Improve your writing skills
Focus on improving your craft before you plan to earn money from your writing. Publishing your work online can help you practice your skills in public and receive feedback from a wider audience.
Select a platform
Decide what content you want to post and choose the platform that best suits your style. If you prefer writing longer, in-depth articles, consider using Medium. For shorter, bite-sized pieces, LinkedIn might be a better fit.
Consistency is key
To see actual results from your writing, it’s essential to stick with it for the long term. Consistently posting high-quality content can help you build an audience and establish yourself as a credible writer.
Building a portfolio requires consistent effort, understanding your writing style and strengths, and the right platform to showcase your work. With these steps in mind, you can take your writing to the next level and monetize your skills.
A detailed step-by-step explanation of this here-
If you want to conquer LinkedIn and build a solid personal brand, attract high-paying clients, and grow your audience, get my ultimate LinkedIn guide here.
2. Find a niche
Once you select a platform, publish at least a hundred content pieces.
Anything less than that, and you might need help understanding what your audience wants from you. I know it might seem like a lot, but publishing your work 100 times will give you a better understanding of how platforms work and what are the most incredible ways to engage with your community.
Once the 100 pieces are up, sort the analytics by views and check what’s common in the top 20.
They might have a similar writing style or belong to a related theme — this is your niche.
Now you know what your readers love the most about your writing. Double down on it.
3. Laser-sharp focus
With your niche identified, it’s time to publish niche-specific content to establish thought leadership.
This will attract like-minded people and help you build a community.
Do it long enough, and your content will start generating inbound leads. Some points to keep in mind —
- Know your target audience and address their pain points.
- Solve an issue with every content piece you write.
- Make sure your email is highly visible on all social platforms you have a presence on.
If the inbound leads don’t come, there’s nothing to worry about. We’ll discuss how to craft the perfect outbound approach as well.
4. Find your dream client
Once you build your brand, you can pitch companies in your niche to write for their blog. Here’s what to include in a cold email —
- Introduce yourself
- Mention one mistake they’re making in their GTM that you can rectify, saving them thousands of dollars. Offer how you can help (more sales, website traffic, etc.).
- Show your stats and social proof. If you’ve helped other clients, mention the numbers you’ve delivered. Attach links and infographics.
- Ask them to hop on a call
Voila! You have your first client.
When you establish your credibility, you eliminate competition.
No one can copy your unique writing style and your community’s trust. You can charge your true worth and live a writer’s life.
Summing up, here’s how you can take advantage of this golden age for writers.
- Build your portfolio by writing online. Pick a platform for you choice and start publishing your work. Don’t worry about being perfect. Practice in public until you find your voice.
- Write at least 100 blog posts. Then, sort them by stats and analyze your top-performing posts. This will help you understand what kind of content works best with your audience. This is how you can find your niche.
- Post niche-specific content and become an established subject matter expert in your field. Build social proof and make yourself irreplaceable.
- Keep your email visible on your profile to attract inbound leads. Approach your dream clients by refining your cold outreach strategy.
This article scratches the surface of the wonders of online writing. Need a 30,000 feet deep view of this strategy? Get my freelance guide. I give a step-by-step breakdown of landing your dream client in 90 days or less.
If you enjoyed reading this, here are a few more articles to help you get started and design the life of your dreams as an online writer.